Foreign Residents' Favorite Recipes
Here is a great chocolate recipe from an Italian resident of Maebashi, Davide Cereda:
Torta al Cioccolato
250 g dark chocolate
100 g sweet butter
15 ml rum
5-7 g cocoa powder
10 g flour (or a little over)
powdered sugar for dusting the cake
chocolate to make chocolate shavings for decoration
a pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees centigrade. Butter and dust with flour a 20-22 cm cake tin.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter together over a pot of hot water.
3. Separate the egg whites and egg yolks.
4. Using an electric mixer, whip the egg yolks with the sugar and rum until very light lemon color.
5. Sift the flour and cocoa powder and then combine with the egg yolk mixture in 3 steps.
6. Little by little, carefully blend in the melted chocolate and butter.
7. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
8. Add the egg whites to the cake mixture in 5 steps. Be very careful that you always stir in the same direction.
9. Pour the cake mixture into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
10. When the cake is done, remove from the oven and let it cool before removing it from the tin.
11. Dust the cake with powdered sugar and then cover with chocolate shavings to taste.