JAPANESE TOP   SITE MAP  
Google
TOP > Sightseeing Highlights > Miwa Shrine
MIWA SHRINE
2-1-1 Miyamotocho
Kiryu, Gunma
0277-22-4390
[Google Map]

美和神社写真

Miwa Shrine is dedicated to the two Shinto gods, Omononushikushimikatama Mikoto and Takesusano Ono Mikoto. Originally constructed a little over 2000 years ago during the reign of Emperor Sujin, 10th in the line of legendary emperors of Japan.

The shrine is recorded as one of twelve shrines in the "Engishiki," a 7th to 9th century collection of detailed regulations relating to Shinto practices in Kozuke, an old name for the Kiryu area,

The shrine is also one of a group of seven shrines in the Kiryu area which were put in a protectorate in the year 1460 to preserve them from generation to generation.

According to the "Nihon Goki" (an historical record), the status of the shrine was elevated in August of the 15th year of the Enki Period (915 AD). Thereafter, the shrine continued to rise in ranking and the structure underwent beautification.

At the end of the 16th century, the main shrine and its surrounding structures burned to the ground, including all its records and sacred treasures. At present, all that is known is from the oral testament of elders.
The many shrines located on the compound are as follows:

Nishinomiya Shrine, Hata Shrine, Yagokoro Omoikane Shrine, Yasaka Shrine, Horowa Myojin, Kotohira Shrine, and Matsuo Shrine. It is said that at one time one could see 107 shrines on the compound.


KIEA OFFICE
KIRYU CITY HALL
1-1 ORIHIMECHO KIRYU, GUNMA 376-8501 JAPAN
PHONE 0277-46-1111 EXT.537 FAX 0277-43-1001
WEB: http://www.kiea.jp
(C) KIEA all rights reserved