| During the Edo Era, a type of silk called "saya" became
popular. As a result, the silk market that was established on the compound
of Tenmangu Shrine was named the "Saya-ichi" or Saya market.
Later, in 1883, a shopping street was established for the sale of local
products and became known as "kaiba" or "shopping place,
" or the "uptown market," as opposed to the "downtown
market" which was situated near the present day Nagasakiya Department
Store. These shopping areas sold textiles and goods used in daily life.
The "kaiba sayaichi" was resurrected in March 1996, employing the nostalgic air of the old Honcho area in order to promote local sightseeing and the economy. On market days the street is closed to vehicles and stalls are set up on both sides of the street selling textiles and other goods. The organizers of this market can be seen wearing happi jackets and calling out words of welcome to shoppers.